Monday, March 14, 2011

Stratovarius - Elements Pt. 1 [2003]

Ha, I bet I caught you off guard here, huh? I'm sure you were expecting me to barrate yet another awful Stratovarius album for it's humiliatingly mediocre quality, especially the often hated Elements Pt. 1! Well, no; absolutely not. I consider this album to be absolutely brilliant. In my opinion, nothing besides Dreamspace in their entire catalogue is anywhere near this good. It's their best. On the surface, Elements Pt. 1 seems very similar to some of their previous, horrific material. There's still a few tracks of straightforward power with over-the-top choruses and typical keyboard saturation. However, there's so much more here than that, and I feel sorry for all the listeners who quickly dismissed this as another piece of Stratotrash. With some patience, I'm sure anyone could enjoy the music they have presented here.

Okay, let me give you a thorough explanation. First off, let me apologize for being the hypocrite you're surely calling me now. "But I thought you said you hated their long songs! How can you favor the album with the longest songs out of all of them?!" Okay, okay, so I've been less than kind to the lengthy Stratovarius tracks in the past. However, those sucked. I hate to be so blunt, but that's the truth. On here, the songwriting is so much better, leading to much more coherent and enjoyable pieces. The orchestral accompaniment adds layers of depth and even beauty, almost making the use of long songs necessary. Prime examples are the wonderful Fantasia and the truly epic title track, two songs that actually don't feel overlong despite the fact that the former closes in on the ten minute mark and the latter far eclipses it.

Of course, an album can't just survive on a couple of standout progressive tracks and some orchestration. Let us take a look at the metal enclosed. Opener Eagleheart is the most out of place track here, no doubt an attempt at a video song. Still, I can forgive it and its oversimplification as it has a nice charging verse. I can probably only enjoy this one because of the album that follows it, but at least I can enjoy it at all, unlike Hunting High and Low. Another one of the three main chugathons arrives soon after, the bombastic, energetic Find Your Own Voice. Kotipelto's vocals absolutely soar over the highlight chorus, completing this utterly wonderful song. The last traditional song, Learning to Fly, is also a great one with a memorable verse, although it's not quite as good as the former. That's a lot of great songs, and to think, I've saved the best two for last!

Soul of a Vagabond is one of the epic, orchestrated songs that makes up about half the album, and it is legendary. Starting with the infamous Heaven and Hell bass gallop, the track slowly ascends to its angelic chorus while perfectly using every instrument they can find to complement its broad soundscape. Since this is a one time outing in which Stratovarius eradicated all of their previous limits, even the lyrics here go above and beyond. It doesn't take much longer for this unworldly track to find and meet its match in the unbelievable Papillon. Introduced by an a capella verse, this song finds realms of beauty that very few other power metal bands have ever seen. Kotipelto unleashes the most emotive, breathtaking performance of his career, turning this from amazing to supernatural. Has to be heard to be believed.

Now do you see why bands can never change? Because right when they do, their bastard fanbase can't accept the change, so they flame the final product for no other reason than the fact that it's not the same exact album for the millionth time. I mean, God, here's a band with an honest attempt at exploring new territory, and what reception do they get? Luke-warm; no, not even... More like bone-dry cold. Well, I'll have fun enjoying this extraordinary album while you Stratovarius fans enjoy those crap 90's albums. Visions? Destiny? Fourth Dimension?! This is miles beyond any of those releases, and I'm glad that I'm not brainwashed by the ideals of what good power metal is supposed to be so that I can see that. I hope those who are enlightened enough will join me, because I'm pretty damn alone in my appreciation of this album. It may not best Lost Horizon's A Flame to the Ground Beneath, released the same year, but what does? Support it so we don't get another self-titled album, please.

   Overall: 9/10 (Outstanding - every dog has his day)

No comments:

Post a Comment