Thursday, July 21, 2011

Symphony X - Iconoclast [2011]

Symphony X is one of those hot or cold bands for me. I either love their albums or couldn't care less about them. The band's first three releases were all killer as far as I'm concerned, but everything since then has seen very few listens from me. My disinterest peaked with Paradise Lost, an album which I never managed to listen to all the way through a single time. Well, I might have to change my philosophies, because I've got this Iconoclast CD here that, while not being a significant departure from its predecessor, absolutely kills. Hell, Iconoclast has enough badass riffs to satisfy even thrash fans who can deal with the super melodic and catchy nature of its contents. Not too many chances sre taken here, but with a product as overwhemingly "metal" as this, who could really complain?

Iconoclast is packed to the gills with awesome songs that are relentless in their power. This is one of the heavier albums I've seen in this entire genre, ever. I dare you to sit still during the frenzy of footstompers like "Dehumanized," "Heretic," and the ultimate highlight: the opening title track, a ten minute display of unprecedented force. Russel Allen growls convincingly for the full duration, delivering perhaps his best performance yet. Iconoclast's choruses are the most memorable this band has ever delivered, and the Romeo-Allen squadron fires on every bloodstained cylinder. The band has also had a penchant for creating lighter pieces that never fail to arrest, and Iconoclast is no exception; just look to "When All Is Lost" for your epic ballad needs, or the chorus of "Children of a Faceless God," a wonderful display of the band's ability to portray vivid emotion.

What's most amazing about Symphony X's latest is that it just never gets old. Having joyfully listened to it 15-20 times already, I'm always shocked after each experience that I still want to hear it again. There's just this perfect flow to Iconoclast that begs you to enjoy its blissful euphony time and time again. All the songs are somewhat samey, with similar traditional structures, but that just adds to the ease of surrender you'll have to the music. There may be a couple songs that lag just a smidgeon behind the others ("Bastards of the Machine" for example), but really, there's just not a lot here that I could possibly complain about. This, along with Pagan's Mind's sublime effort this year, are sure to be viable power metal outlets for a long time to come. This is potential realized. Savor it, and don't miss out.

   Overall: 9/10 (Outstanding - through the gates of hell)

No comments:

Post a Comment