Friday, January 6, 2012

The 20 Best Metal Releases of 2011

Metal pretty much dominated across the board in 2011, a year that continually left my jaw on the floor and little change in my pocket. Sure, not everything laid everything in its past to waste, and it didn't quite surpass the unbelievable year that was 2009, but I enjoyed the ride to the end. Some bands that I usually don't care for really knocked it out of the park this time. The lowest rated of the twenty is about an 8/10--not half bad. However, I must say that I didn't feel there was a '10' record released this year. Septicflesh's typically amazing release came close, but nothing really topped or even equaled Enslaved's 2010 masterpiece, Axioma Ethica Odini... but anyway, without further ado, here's my personal top 20 metal albums of the year:

01. Septicflesh - The Great Mass
02. Antichrist - Forbidden World
03. Thy Catafalque - Rengeteg
04. Anubis Gate - Anubis Gate
05. Riot - Immortal Soul
06. Oranssi Pazuzu - Kosmonument
07. Vader - Welcome to the Morbid Reich
08. Arch/Matheos - Sympathetic Resonance
09. Symphony X - Iconoclast
10. Eumeria - Rebel Mind
11. High Spirits - Another Night
12. Sabbat - Sabbatrinity
13. Enslaved - The Sleeping Gods EP
14. Portrait - Crimen Laesae Majestatis Divinae
15. Mastodon - The Hunter
16. Pagan's Mind - Heavenly Ecstasy
17. Myrath - Tales of the Sands
18. Heavenwood - Abyss Masterpiece
19. Cormorant - Dwellings 
20. Klabautamann - The Old Chamber


And I'm still digging up more 2011 treasure, so don't be surprised if this list is altered from time to time. I opened my mind to a lot more music recently and I'd say the first year of my blog's existence has been a decent one. I reviewed about sixty releases in 2011, from which there were approximately 32 albums from the past year. Of course, I would like to have written more reviews, but schoolwork and laziness were a constant deterrent. I hope to see an even more fruitful 2012! You can expect a more complete list after 2012 since I'll be attempting to listen to everything I possibly can. A special thanks goes to my (few) amount of readers out there. Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment